Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Happy Reading


I received a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, 2012. I had wanted an e-reader for a while, and with the release of the excellent Paperwhite and a price point below $100, I put it on my Christmas list.


Since then, I've downloaded a pretty good number of books, rarely paying more than $2 for one. Being an Amazon Prime member I can also borrow one book a month (I know, lame) for free. I've done that quite a few times but it can be a little frustrating if you're reading a series, as you sometimes need to wait to download the next book.

Below are all the books I've read on my Kindle since the start of 2013 (not in order). All were new to me except the the nine books I had already read (in junior or senior high school), marked with an asterisk.

FICTION
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Skull by Philip K. Dick
The Shining by Stephen King
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein*
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman*
The Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney
Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
The Star Wars Trilogy*
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke*
2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke*
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke*
The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein*
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
All 14 original Ian Fleming James Bond Novels

HISTORY
Dunkirk: Retreat from the Brink of Destruction by Lieutenant Colonel Ewan Butler and Maj. J.S. Bradford
The German Generals Talk by B.H. Lidell Hart
Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis
Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff
The Fall of Japan by William Craig
History of the Civil War by James Ford Rhodes
Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway by Walter Lord
The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich in Power by Richard J. Evans
The Third Reich at War by Richard J. Evans
D-Day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz
Stalingrad: How the Red Army Triumphed by Michael K. Jones
The Battle of the Atlantic by Donald Macintyre
Hitler by Ian Kershaw
Killing the Bismarck by Iain Ballantyne
Operation Barbarossa: The German Invasion of Soviet Russia by Robert Kirchubel

NON-FICTION
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
These Are the Voyages - Season One by Marc Cushman and Susan Osborn
These Are the Voyages - Season Two by Marc Cushman and Susan Osborn
These Are the Voyages - Season Three by Marc Cushman and Susan Osborn
When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live by Tom Shales

I'd be thrilled to discuss any of them in the comments.

4 comments:

SJHoneywell said...

I've read some, but not all of these. I did just re-read Invasion of the Body Snatchers last month, though. If you get the chance, that's an audiobook worth tracking down. The version I found is read by the son of Don Siegel, who directed the first version of the story.

If you liked In Cold Blood (I did--I think it's great), I recommend tracking down The Devil in the White City, which is about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer who was operating nearby.

Ipecac said...

I did enjoy In Cold Blood a great deal. I also read The Devil in the White City some years ago. Excellent book and really made an impact. I've been fascinated by H.H. Holmes ever since.

CJ said...

What is engulfed in flames like? Is it about 9/11?

Ipecac said...

It's a series of comedic/satirical essays. I imagine kind of like Bossypants (which I haven't read). To be honest, I don't remember too much about the individual stories.

https://www.amazon.com/When-You-Are-Engulfed-Flames/dp/0316154687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510936636&sr=8-1&keywords=engulfed+in+flames