Monday, November 13, 2017

Warning - This post is the definition of T-M-I.


Warning: Too Much Information

I'm a 52 year old man. That means, like many middle-aged men, I have developed issues with my prostate, a walnut sized gland that is part of the male reproductive system.

I had a blood test earlier this year (my diabetes means I have at least a couple of blood tests a year and often quarterly) and my PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) had gone up. This indicates that there may be an issue with the prostate.

I was referred to a Urologist whom I saw during the summer. He said that my prostate was enlarged, which is not uncommon among men my age, but didn't feel (yes, feel) any irregularities. He gave me a prescription for a 4K score test and told me to wait three months before getting it done. In the meantime, an enlarged prostate has a host of possible symptoms, most having to do with problems urinating. Fun, fun stuff.

The 4K score test is a new blood test that can show how likely you are to develop prostate cancer and thus avoid the need for a biopsy. I had the test done and saw my Urologist again. He told me the test showed a 6% chance of a high likelihood of cancer. In other words, cancer was unlikely. I need to go see him again in six months after another standard blood test.

There are many treatments for an enlarged prostate, from drugs to surgery, but I don't need to worry about those yet. The Urologist put me on Flo-Max to help with the symptoms.

Getting older is awesome!

In all seriousness, I'm actually very lucky because I have good insurance and can visit excellent doctors who take good care of me. The majority of human beings, and millions of Americans don't have that luxury. Given the resources and knowledge available to humanity, access to good healthcare should be a universal human right.


No comments: