Sunday, February 04, 2018

The bland face of hatred


I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Kimmel's show, but I really admire how he's been turning his microphone into an opportunity to support good government programs that help people; first Obamacare and now DACA.

This week he aired the following video, bringing together conservatives who hate DACA and a family who face their wife/mom being deported.


It's an interesting idea, but not surprisingly, no one really changed their mind. Aside from the fact that two of the panelists turned out to be known members of actual hate groups, the saddest part is the absolute lack of empathy, compassion and understanding from the conservatives. They hate immigrants and even seeing the most compelling face of DACA imaginable, they don't change their minds. They would happily tear this family apart because of a "crime" that none of them committed and send this young woman, wife and mother to a country she never knew.

Their obvious lack of humanity can only be compared to what happened in NAZI Germany.

We are on a dark path. Fortunately, I know that most Americans are appalled at these people.


2 comments:

Ipecac said...

First of all, thanks! I was not aware I HAD followers. Please let me know who they are so I can thank them and then rally them to my crazy, liberal cause!

Second, what violence do I incite? Please identify specific instances of me calling for violence. I want to make sure I'm not inciting violence against the wrong people.

And finally, if you don't think lying about your immigration priorities, and then breaking up families, including ripping children from their parents, is comparable to the Nazis, please tell me what historical group it is comparable to so I can use that. Stalin? Pol Pot? John Birch Society? I strive to be accurate.

Ipecac said...

You've missed the point.

Hatred is a spectrum. It reaches from small acts to huge atrocities. What's happening in America to minorities and immigrants is based on hate and leads down very dark roads. We know this. Hundreds of thousands of Americans died to fight this.

You cannot allow or support even these small acts of hate. If hate is not opposed, it might not lead to cattle cars and slave labor camps, but it's NOT leading to anything good.

Hatred of those who practice hate is NOT the problem.