Sunday, April 29, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War - No Spoilers


I saw it twice over the weekend. What did I think?

I thought it was amazing. The movie features around 20 superheroes and managed to balance them all pretty well. Some have complained about the lack of character arcs, but a few characters do have arcs, and those who don't have been well established over multiple movies. They don't need arcs because we know who they are and how they got here. So this is definitely a movie for people who have followed the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They also don't take a lot of time setting things up; they just launch into the action. For a two hour and forty minute movie, I thought it was incredibly well paced. I really didn't want it to end.

As has become standard for Marvel movies, there's a lot of humor, which is important to balance out  the universe-level stakes. Combining the various groups (Avengers, Guardians, outliers) was just fun.

And finally, there are quite a few surprises. The audience I saw it with on Thursday gasped, and screamed, and shouted. I had the kind of theater experience that rarely happens and which I treasure when it does.

Ben is still away at college so I texted him after he saw it and his reaction was "It was a lot to process." He's absolutely right and I am really enjoying processing it.

I can't wait to see it again.

No comments: