Sunday, September 02, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians


Carol and I went to see Crazy Rich Asians on Friday night (Moviepass lives!).

I had a lot of trouble with this movie. For one thing, there were like three white people in the entire movie and two of those three people were racist assholes. Clearly, the movie was itself racist against whites, especially since they cast Asians in all the lead roles. What the hell, movie? Yet another politically correct move to placate the libs. You should always cast the best actors as the leads and I had only heard of four of these people! How many of these people had Oscars? Clearly, not the best actors. It makes me sad to think how much better this movie would have been with Emma Stone or Scarlet Johansson as the lead, probably opposite one of the Chris's (Hemsworth, Pine, Evans or Pratt). It just sickens me to see Hollywood pandering to the SJW's like that.

Okay, that's about all I can type of that drivel. In case you're tone deaf, that was a (probably lame) satire of the way butt-hurt males feel about every movie that doesn't star white people, and, more specifically white men. If anything, what I just wrote was tame compared to their bitching about having women heroes in Star Wars, or the recent Ghostbusters. They're generally giant man-babies and they really, really suck at being good people.

I thought Crazy Rich Asians was wonderful. The cast was funny, charming and the story rich with strong, some nuanced, performances. I didn't get all the cultural sub-text, nor was I expected to, but that's okay, because what happens is completely understandable ON A HUMAN LEVEL. What a shock, many experiences are universal. If I got a small taste of how Asian audiences may not always grok Hollywood movies because of their distinctly American sensibility, that's an opportunity for me to learn and grow.

I am immensely gratified to see Crazy Rich Asians doing well. I loved it.

I've said it before. If you can't put yourself in the shoes of other people and can only relate to people who look and sound like you, you are a garbage human. Grow up. There's a big world out there.

No comments: