Sunday, October 21, 2018

The world just became a little bit better


You know what I hate?

Nuclear treaties that restrict or eliminate nuclear weapons. I loved growing up under the constant threat of nuclear annihilation (something to look forward to!) and the fear that a hothead or a malfunction could eradicate human life on Earth. I was really sad not to be able to share that experience with my kids.

So, you can imagine how pleased I am to hear this:
Donald Trump has confirmed the US will leave an arms control treaty with Russia dating from the cold war that has kept nuclear missiles out of Europe for three decades.
“We’ll have to develop those weapons,” the president told reporters in Nevada after a rally. “We’re going to terminate the agreement and we’re going to pull out."
Trump was referring to the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces treaty (INF), which banned ground-launch nuclear missiles with ranges from 500km to 5,500km. Signed by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, it led to nearly 2,700 short- and medium-range missiles being eliminated, and an end to a dangerous standoff between US Pershing and cruise missiles and Soviet SS-20 missiles in Europe.  Link
Whew! For a few years there, I really though that my family would live out our natural lives without instantly being turned into a 500 million degree vapor. I mean, how cool would this be?


Thanks, Trump!

No comments: