Thursday, January 10, 2019

View from the Inside


If you read this blog, you probably know I work for the Federal government, specifically for a mid-size, law-enforcement agency based in Washington D.C. I'm an attorney and have worked for this agency, for the public good, for 28 years.

I'm also one of the lucky 25% of the federal government subject to the current shutdown.

Since my office within the agency is somewhat important, me and my nine person staff of mostly attorneys are considered excepted employees. Our office is not closed, unlike the vast majority of the agency, and expected to operate during our regular weekday work hours. We are limited in the work we can do, so not everyone is on duty at the same time. I schedule four people for three or four days on, and then off for the same. I do this to keep everyone active in the office, but, more importantly, to make sure everyone gets a paycheck in the off chance that Congress decides not to issue back pay. (They HAVE to pay you if you actually worked.)

Since we're a law enforcement agency, we do have some attorneys from litigation shops called in as needed. My shop works as triage to make sure that we don't miss anything that needs to be reviewed, but the actual enforcement work the agency does is severely curtailed. Of course, human resources are also affected. I have a new. desperately needed, attorney hire who was supposed to start last Monday. She's on hold until the shutdown is over.

Yesterday I was at work and walked through our six floors to look around and take some photos. These were taken on Wednesday, between 3:30 and 4:00 pm. Usually, these offices and cubicles would be lit up and busy with workers. Our lights are on motion sensors, so the only reason the overhead lights are on is because I entered the area.

Not pictured:  Government workers.

Helloooooo??
Your government, not at work.


Everyone in my shop, indeed everyone I've talked to in the government, wants to be back at work. Not only are we not getting paid, but we're not doing the work we signed on to do. Projects are on hold, new people are not coming on board, and we're not protecting and helping Americans.

I'm not due back at work until Tuesday.

No comments: