Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Get to Know Me! Elementary School


I went to Cleveland Elementary in Elkhart, Indiana for grades K-6 in the 1970s. It was the same school my parents had gone to and where they met. The mascot was, and still is, an Indian. It's now a magnet school.

When I started there, the Principal was named Mr. Gay and the 6th grade teacher was named Miss Homo. Not nicknames, those were their actual names. They were brave.

I think Miss Homo lived with one of the kindergarten teachers, Miss Cook. My understanding is that it was a poorly kept secret that they were lesbians. They were likely the first gay couple I ever knew. (Then again, I just did a web search and while I didn't find anything specifically about Miss Homo, I did find evidence of a series of younger Homos who also teach in the Elkhart school system and who may have been her children. So I could very well be mistaken).

I liked and enjoyed my elementary school.

2 comments:

ahtitan said...

There was a Mr. Dana Homo that taught at Brookdale.

Ipecac said...

I remember that! I don't know if they were related.