Wednesday, June 23, 2021

New keyboard to the rescue

The picture below is my workstation at home. I've been teleworking for the last 15 months and will continue until at least September. I've had two monitors in my home setup for years, but when I started teleworking, I hooked the left monitor up to my work laptop. Two computers means I also have two keyboards and two mice, one for work and one for my home computer.



This setup was messy and took up a lot of desk space, with cords all over the place. I considered getting a wireless keyboard, but while that would eliminate some wires, I'd still need two separate keyboards.

A few weeks ago, I was reading an article on how to improve your home office, when lo and behold, they reported on a wireless Logitech keyboard that could connect to up to three computers at the same time! It was a revelation (and an option I'm embarrassed that I didn't investigate before). So, here's my new setup.



The keyboard is great. It's heavy, and feels solid. The keys have a great feel and I enjoy typing on it. It's backlit but turns off when you move your hands away from the keyboard to save power. When your hands approach, it very cooly lights up. 

Switching between my home and work computers is as simple as hitting the button linked with that computer. (I am still getting used to switching before I type). The only downside is the steep price of $100, which is way more than I've ever paid for a keyboard. I'd get the companion mouse that also switches between multiple computers, but that's equally expensive, so for now, I'll keep using two different mice. 

But, boy, this keyboard has made a huge difference in my workspace. I'm really happy I bought it.

No comments: