Sunday, August 29, 2021

Prostate Update - September 2021

WARNING: Graphic details below.

As I reported in my last post, prior to the start of radiation therapy, I was awaiting my procedure to insert three gold tracking fiducials into my prostate, and place a hydrogel insert to protect my rectum. I had that procedure a few weeks ago, and while it wasn't overly pleasant, it was quick and I got through it just fine. (Being in the "stirrups" for the whole procedure gave me additional sympathy for what women have to go through all the damn time.)

Once that was done, a couple of weeks ago I had my first appointment with the radiation oncologist to scan my prostate. They use a CT scanner to map out the prostate, including the position of the fiducials so that when my radiation treatments start, they can triangulate off the fiducials and target the cancer precisely. The scanning session required that I empty my bladder and then drink a bottle of water, a process I'll have to repeat each session so that my bladder is the same amount of full each time. I also had a rectal balloon inserted, for what reason I don't know. (Maybe they were just having some fun with me). That will also be repeated. Finally, they injected a dye into my urethra, which will not be repeated. Thankfully.

Once the scan was complete, it took them about ten days to map out the radiation treatment. I will have five half hour sessions over three weeks, which isn't a lot at all. And then they monitor me to make sure the cancer is gone.

My first session is September 7, the day after Labor Day.


No comments: