Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Just how lame are we?

I watch two reality shows with my family, Survivor and The Amazing Race. Both are well-produced, cast with interesting people, and always involve some good drama and a view of the diversity and wonder of this planet and the people that live on it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

On Sunday night, we were watching The Amazing Race. We have learned that some countries don't allow you to buy airplane tickets at the airport; you have to buy them from a travel agency. As the contestants tried to get a flight out of Africa to Poland, several teams were at a travel agency looking for the best flight.

After about five minutes of watching this, the absurdity hit me. In the 21st century, with all the technology and entertainment at our command, with literally hundreds of channels and DVDs available, with the entirety of the Internet available on our computer, with dozens of X-Box games in front of us, with hundreds of board games in our basement - we were sitting in front of our HD TV watching images beamed from space to our satellite dish, of people buying tickets from a travel agent.

I honestly don't know whether I should be embarrassed or not.

2 comments:

David Fair said...

And now you know why I won't watch any so-called reality TV. It really is that lame.

Ipecac said...

Actually, the TAR is pretty good most of the time. I know Rachel has learned a lot about different countries from watching it. There's a reason it usually wins the best reality Emmy.