Monday, April 23, 2007

Metro Triumphs and Tribulations

I take the Washington DC Metro into work every morning. For the most part, it's a comfortable, reliable commute.

As I enter the station, there's always some tension as I make my way upstairs to the platform because I'm never sure if a train is sitting on the platform and about to leave until I actually get up there. Because of increasingly frequent train delays, missing a train can cost a lot of time.

For years now, I've hoped Metro would install electronic signs at the entrance to the station so I can know what's on the platform when I arrive. Hallelujah! Metro has finally granted my wish and is currently testing flat screen displays and revolving kiosk screens at select stations, including Shady Grove! Now, when I enter the tunnel below the platform, I can see whether or not a train is waiting above. Awesome! The kiosks (pictured) are especially cool as the screen rotates to be viewed on all sides.

Unfortunately, Metro isn't content with just giving critical information. They feel the need to include less useful info like lists of bus routes, station closing times, and elevator outages throughout the system. I'll give them some slack here. This info is less critical to most commuters, but is still somewhat useful.


More unfortunately (here comes the rant), the useful information above is alternated with commercials . . . for Metro! I can't tell you how many times I've approached the sign to find out when the next train leaves only to have the screen cut to a commercial.

"Use Metro to visit the National Zoo!" "Take Metro to Chinatown!"

"Uh, hello, I'm about to get on Metro. Why are you interrupting the flow of useful info to push me to get on Metro?!?"

I mean (in best Seinfeld voice), who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

1 comment:

BillR said...

Hmmm, I always breezed past those kiosks so fast I never noticed that they actually had useful info!