Monday, May 21, 2007

Oh, and he was doing so well!

Jimmy Carter backed off Monday from harshly critical comments he made of President Bush over the weekend after the White House offered a biting rebuke to the former president by calling him "increasingly irrelevant."
Former President Carter Backtracks
"(My comments) were interpreted as comparing this whole administration to all other administrations when what I was actually doing was responding to a question about foreign policy between (President Richard) Nixon and this administration, and I think that this administration's foreign policy compared to Nixon's was much worse. ... I wasn't comparing this administration with other administrations throughout history but just with President Nixon's," he told NBC's "The Today Show."
What Carter had said was, "I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."

Aargh! It's like writing the correct answer to the Final Jeopardy question, scribbling it out and writing the wrong answer.

He had it right the first time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems pretty clear that he WAS comparing this administration to all others and, as you say, he was correct. I think Carter has been burned by the controversy over his book about the Middle East.

Frankly, I have always found Carter rather sanctimonious given how inept he was during his own presidency. He spent a lot of time undermining Clinton's foreign policy by striking out on his own. But, in this case, he is correct.

And, I say, "Bring Back Nixon!"

David Fair said...

This drives me crazy. Less than 5 hours after i write praising Carter for stating the obvious truth, he back tracks like this. Makes me very sad.

Ipecac said...

I think the White House showed a total lack of class (big surprise) by attacking Carter. The White House is supposed to be above such pettiness.