Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Tree of Freakishness

I have a tree in my office. Legend tells that it has been in this particular office for over forty years. When I moved in nearly 10 years ago, I think they said it was already 35 years old. It stands about eight feet tall and has multiple trunks.

Here it is.


What's interesting about this tree is that every year just after the New Year, it rapidly sprouts long stalks. And by rapidly, I mean five inches of growth in a couple of days. It's amazing to see. Within a week, these things are more than a foot long and sprout little white flowers. We then begin the "smell" phase.

The flowers emit an overpowering, though not unpleasant, odor which fills my office and the hallway outside for a good two weeks. People come by every year to smell the plant, or do so when they walk by whether they want to or not. Afterwards, the stalks wither, dry out and die.

Here's one, having turned brown, but not withered yet.


Now here's the thing. I have no idea what kind of tree this is. No one I've talked to has any idea what kind of tree this is. I've been unable to find any identifying info on teh Intarwebs, either.

If you have any such information, I would really appreciate you leaving a comment. I may even name the tree after you!*

*(Disclaimer: I won't name the tree after you.)

5 comments:

Eric Haas said...

It’s a dormant triffid.

Eric Haas said...

Actually, my mother and I were looking at plants on the web, and we think it might be a Dracaena. Possibly a Dracaena fragrans. Check out this link: http://www.floridagardener.com/images/dracaenafragransflowers.jpg

Eric Haas said...

This link.

Ipecac said...

That's clearly it! Thanks.

Although I did like the Triffid suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I think you should simply call it God's Mystery tree. Obviously, it's too complex for evolution.