Saturday, May 09, 2009

Star Trek

Star Trek opened huge for previews on Thursday night and Friday's opening. It's made $32 million so far and on track for $72 million this weekend.

Totally minor spoilers below.

I would like to do a full blown review but don't have time right now. I enjoyed the movie, thought it was well made, well-acted and fun to watch. I was bothered by many of the plot points, not because they didn't jibe with Trek continuity but because they didn't make sense in any continuity. I mean, there are apparently a bunch of uncrewed Starfleet ships just sitting in orbit around Earth waiting for Academy Cadets to crew them. And the ending was just ridiculous. Flat out stupid.

There was a lot to like. When they first showed Vulcan, you see the famous Vasquez Rocks in the background; a nice homage to the location of many Trek location shoots. Then, when they show Vulcan again later, you see dozens of rock formations that look just like Vasquez Rocks. I thought that was hilarious, an intentional spoof of the overuse of the location.

Feel free to discuss in the comments. The comment section will be a SPOILER ZONE, so beware.

5 comments:

Joseph said...

I noticed Arena Rock on Vulcan. Over and over and over. Self-parody, yay. Usually a series waits until about the 4th film to get there.

And the Engineering deck that looked like something out of Galaxy Quest; all kinds of weird pipes and huge rooms. I half expected Kirk to have to run through a bunch of randomly-crunching machines.

The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Ipecac said...

I'm torn. I've said much the same thing: the more I think about it, the less I like it. But I did enjoy it.

The engine room was freakish. What is this, Doctor Who? (Not meaning to disparage Doctor Who in any way but using a factory for a ship's engine room is definitely a Doctor Who trick).

Okay, explain this one. Spock is captured and his "red matter" mcguffin ship confiscated. They put him down on what has to be a moon of Vulcan, for him to be able to see it in the sky, and there's a convenient Starfleet base on the moon and HE DOESN'T GO TO THE BASE TO WARN VULCAN ABOUT THE PENDING ATTACK. WTF?

Paul Seegers said...

I think you guys are being to hard on it. Plot holes in Star Trek are as regular as phasers and green blood jokes about Spock. It is what it is, and as a film was fun and entertaining. My wife is not a fan and had a really good time with it.
If you were bored to death (Star Trek the Motion Picture)then I could see being pissed.

Ipecac said...

Bah! Star Trek or any movie, if there are glaring plot holes then the movie deserves to be criticized. Taking the whole "as long as it was fun" attitude is why we're stuck with so many crappy movies. Because people don't demand better.

Mediocrity shouldn't be defended.

Ipecac said...

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW

Okay, here's my absolute biggest problem with the movie. And, ironically, it's not a nitpicky complaint about how something isn't in the continuity, this particular event is a problem because it's so ridiculously FANNISH.

At the end of the movie, Chris Pike, Captain of the brand new flagship of the Federation, takes a desk job for no given reason (he doesn't appear to be too injured) and Starfleet gives command of its newest flagship to a three year cadet WHO HASN'T EVEN GRADUATED FROM THE ACADEMY. Oh, and his bridge crew will also be composed of folks (except for Spock) who haven't graduated either. That is frakking stupid on any number of levels. Worst of all, it's such a FANNISH thing to do.

I can forgive a lot of things but that's so utterly unrealistic that it just derails almost everything. It really is like this movie was written by a bunch of Star Trek Mary Sue geeks who know nothing about reality.