Thursday, August 26, 2010

Speeeeeeeed!

Earlier this year I bought a new computer to edit the videos I've been shooting.  Vacation, concerts, high school musicals, and the ones I've been doing for work.  I bought some near-professional editing software (Adobe Premiere Elements 8) and our old computer was completely inadequate to run it.  The new computer did the job, though it was still a bit slow in rendering.

Before the Fall and a host of new videos I need to shoot, I wanted to update the video card to speed things up.  Of course, this meant that I also had to upgrade the power supply from the measly 300w installed unit.

Having done my research, on Monday night I put in an order at Newegg.com, a Corsair 650w power supply and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 video card.  The card would quadruple my video RAM and be superior in pretty much every way.  I've upgraded a good number of the computers I've owned over the last 23 years and it's always a very satisfying project.

On Wednesday, the new components were waiting for me when I arrived home from work.  Awesome!  Way to go Newegg!  I installed them last night and everything's cranking.

My Windows Experience index went from 4.4 to 5.9 since my video stats jumped to 7.4 from 4.4.  My hard drive is now the weak link.

I feel the need for speed!

No comments: