Sunday, December 19, 2010

My nut has been cracked

So, I've seen the Nutcracker.  Yes, for the first time in my life.

Carol entered an on-line contest a couple of weeks ago and won two tickets to the Washington Ballet's production of The Nutcracker at the Warner Theatre and a $100 dinner for two at the M&S Grill across the street.  We went tonight.

Both were good.  The Nutcracker is an odd show because the first act is a Christmas party and the second act is all a dream sequence.  Not much actually happens in the story, there's no real plot or conflict; it's just a set up for several ballet sequences.

The production was great.  The sets and costumes colorful, fantastic and clever.  We really liked the way the Christmas tree seemed to expand until the dancers were dancing beneath the tree.  I wasn't thrilled about the story, but it was a nice evening.

It does seem like a lot of to-do for a crappy Christmas present though.  I mean, what kid wants a nutcracker for Christmas?  "Gee, now I can crack all those nuts I've been saving."

No comments: