Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Get to know me! Scents and secret forts


It's well established that scents can evoke strong memories.  Just a few minutes ago, I blew out a candle and as I smelled the smoke, I was suddenly, for just an instant, twelve years old again, sitting underground by myself in a fort dug into an empty lot while outside it rained.

The older boys in the neighborhood had dug out the fort, an eight by eight foot hole two or three feet deep.  They covered the hole with plywood and covered the plywood with dirt to hide it.  Inside was nothing but a few candles and some matches.  I imagine now that they used it for smoking but they didn't let me in for more than a minute to see it.

One rainy day when no one was around, I snuck in, sat in their fort for a while and burned one of their candles.  Thirty-five years later, the smell of candle smoke brought that scene instantly to mind.

Soon after that, someone collapsed the fort.  I don't really remember why or who.  They may have done it themselves.  But I still remember.


No comments: