Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lunch Haunts - Vast and Tiny Spaces


Last week I visited the Washington Monument.  It's closed because of the earthquake, obviously, but I took two pictures standing as close to the base as I could get.  This gives you a really good idea just how big the National Mall is.  In the first picture, that white columned structure in the distance is the Lincoln Memorial.

Click pics to embiggen.


In the picture below, you can see the White House as the white building just peeking above the trees to the right of the woman.


Yesterday, I had lunch at one of my favorite places in DC, the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden fountain.  It's a nice place for lunch or even a quick nap and in the winter they turn it into a skating rink.  The building to the right is the National Archives Building.


And, finally, below is not a vast space, but a neat spot I found not too long ago; a little park next to the National Gallery of Art entry staircases.  One of the fun things about Washington is that there are a lot of little gardens and quiet spots tucked hidden among the federal buildings.  I've worked very close to this little park for over 20 years and until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know it existed.  I was surprised and delighted to discover it.


No comments: