Friday, August 31, 2012

Autumn Games - Kosmos Two Player Series


I recently finished cataloging my game collection.  I own over 600 games, including expansions, which is a ton of games compared to most people, but few compared to some of my friends.  Most are card or board games, a few are party games and some are dexterity or physical games.

If you're not into gaming, you may not be aware that publishers often produce series of games with a common box size and consistent artwork (rather than a series based on similar themes or similar mechanics). The Alea big box series of games is the ultimate expression of this idea, with the first half dozen or so titles, including Ra, Princes of Florence, Puerto Rico, and my favorite game, Taj Mahal, among the best board games you can buy.


Image from tiggers on Boardgamegeek

Another of my favorite series is the Kosmos two player series, pictured on the top shelf below.  I don't own all the games in the series but I own quite a few.  (In the interest of accuracy, a few of the games pictured aren't technically part of the series since they're from different publishers, but they have the same box size which is why they're on that shelf.)



These are games of various themes and mechanics, but all have in common excellent artwork, easy rules, and challenging game play.  Some, like Babel, Lost Cities, Hera & Zeus, Jambo, and Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, are among my favorite games.

A few years ago, Carol and I played through most of the Kosmos two player games, keeping track of who won.  Now with Rachel at college, since we have a little more time in our evenings, I thought I'd challenge her again and post the results here.

First up will be the very first one I bought, a game famous for being enjoyed by wives who aren't themselves gamers, Lost Cities.

No comments: