Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nun on a bus speaks the truth


The leader of the Nuns On a Bus tour that’s been highlighting the effects of the proposed Paul Ryan/House Republican budget on low-income Americans had this to say about Mitt Romney’s 47% comment:

CAMPBELL: I mean, it was shocking to me that a person who says he wants to be the leader of our nation believes that 47 percent of our country is basically lazy or dependent or indolent. That was shocking to me. But then, it broke my heart that he would be so out of touch, that he would so not know the truth of folks at the margins of our society who work so hard. And he obviously doesn’t know that if you work a minimum wage job, if you’re a child care, if you’re providing janitorial services, or if you’re a day laborer, if you work for minimum wage, you’re still in poverty. He has no idea how hard it is at the margins of our society.  Link

Damn straight. I’d go further and say that most Republicans (at least the ones I’ve spoken with) don’t seem to get it either. Then again, maybe they just don’t care.


No comments: