Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fitbit


Like most reasonably computer-savvy folk, I've always been interested in gadgets and data. Long before I started my diet, I was looking for a way to track my daily activities. I had tried conventional pedometers but they were inaccurate and very limited. Then, late last year, I read about a super-pedometer-like wristband called the Jawbone Up on Gizmodo and became interested. Unfortunately, the Up had some significant reliability issues and was more or less recalled by Jawbone. So the Up was not an option until it was fixed.

Some months later, I read about another device, the Fitbit Ultra. The Fitbit had the same functionality as the Up and actually did some things better. Plus, it didn't have that whole "didn't work" thing going, so I determined to buy one.  I found one on sale at Nobetterdeal.com and ordered it.


What does the Fitbit Ultra do?  It contains accelerometers and an altimeter to track your motion.  You can clip it to your clothing or wear it in a belt clip and it tracks every step you take and how many flights of stairs or hills you climb. It will display the distance you've walked, the calories you've burned and has a growing/shrinking flower to show your level of recent activity. Even cooler, it syncs wirelessly with its USB-connected base when you step within about 15 feet of it, automatically uploading the data to the online Fitbit database, accessible by web or mobile app, where you can track all kinds of data. It stays charged for up to 10 days and holds many days worth of data in the event you're traveling and unable to sync it. It turns out that the Fitbit is actually far more useful than the (just rereleased) Up which must be plugged in to sync, doesn't have an onboard display and doesn't have an altimeter.

Ipecac's activities on Nov. 13, 2012

Amazingly, it also tracks your sleep. Just before you go to sleep you activate the sleep mode and in the morning you can see in the database how long you took to fall asleep, how long you slept and how many times you awakened during the night.  It does all this by measuring your movements and has a 90%+ accuracy rate.

Ipecac's sleep on the night of Nov. 12, 2012

The Fitbit arrived a few weeks before Mother's Day, about a month into my diet. But once I got it, I realized that it would actually make a great gift for Carol. So I gave it to her for Mother's Day.

Unfortunately, we quickly discovered that it's really easy to forget to take it off your clothing.  About two weeks after she got it, Carol ran it through the washing machine, killing it dead. Oy. After reading about similar tragedies from other Fitbit users and their positive experiences with the company, we e-mailed Fitbit and to our delight, they replaced it free of charge!  Let me repeat that: they replaced a gadget with a full retail price of $100 for free.  Awesome customer service.

(Hilariously yet tragically, not long after receiving the replacement, Carol completely lost it. Fortunately, after two weeks I found it on the floor of our closet. She hasn't lost or destroyed it since.)

Despite all this drama, Carol really liked the device so she got me one for Father's Day in June and I've been using it ever since.  I love it.

Using the Fitbit inspired me to start my Sleepy November as it was obvious from the stats that I don't sleep enough. The Fitbit was also very enlightening to have on our summer vacation where we walked between 10 and 12 miles a day through the Disney parks. On days when I'm close to my goals, it inspires to walk just a bit more. It also syncs with the diet app, MyFitnessPal, and adjusts my daily caloric intake by the amount of physical exertion. In other words, if I'm active, it tells me I can eat more! Awesome.

The Fitbit has definitely contributed to my dieting success. Likewise, I've also contributed to Fitbit's success because my having it has inspired at least three other people to buy one. I don't suppose I'll be wearing one for the rest of my life, but for right now, I'm really enjoying it.

(The successor to the Ultra came out this week, the Fitbit One. It's essentially the same with a bit of a redesign. It also has a vibration motor so it can rouse you out of sleep when you're best ready for it, a very cool feature.)

1 comment:

ahtitan said...

That thing looks awesome. I might have to look into one, though I fear it would yell at me for barely moving each day.