Thursday, May 23, 2013

Having thirty plus people over? Here's what not to do.


This weekend is our annual gaming get-together, bringing many of my former college and law school friends (and their families) mostly from out of town to join us for a weekend of gaming. All told, we'll have over thirty people to game Friday night through Monday afternoon. I usually take off from work Wednesday through the following Tuesday to prepare the house, then clean up and recover afterwards.

Of course, nothing ever goes smoothly. Last weekend I started to get neck and shoulder pains which then amplified and hit me hard after I went to bed on Sunday. I had a miserable night of laying like a corpse and not being able to rise without substantial pain. When I "woke up" on Monday, I couldn't turn my head in any direction, my whole head hurt and on top of that, I had a sore throat. So I missed work Monday and Tuesday and wasn't feeling well enough to be able to take advantage of the extra time.

I went to the Doctor on Tuesday morning and was prescribed a muscle relaxant and heavy duty painkiller. The effect was pretty quick and just in time for me to get up Wednesday morning and start cleaning the house. I still have just a little bit of pain, but nothing that's stopping me from what I need to do.

And as soon as I started getting better, Rachel got a huge sore throat. The doctor thinks she may have strep. Awesome.


No comments: