Sunday, October 13, 2013

Gravity


Carol and I saw the current blockbuster hit, Gravity, the other day and I really recommend it. The space and weightless effects are incredibly well done and the movie has some absolutely breathtaking images of space and several intense, unrelenting action sequences.

I don't see many movies in 3D because I don't think the 3D effect adds anything to the experience. Plus, the 3D glasses darken the image on the screen. But this movie needs to be seen in IMAX 3D. The price is higher than a normal movie ($15 bucks?!?) but the whole experience was completely immersive with the most impressive 3D effects I've ever seen in a movie.

While the production team tried very hard to get the physics as accurate as possible, there are a few cheats they use in order to tell a good story. I am very proud that I identified most of them as I was watching and had them confirmed by articles I read afterwards. Go me.

So go see it. Gravity is the kind of movie that won't work nearly as well at home. It deserves to be seen on the biggest screen you can find.

1 comment:

SJHoneywell said...

I don't see much in the theater, but I made an exception for this. I also am not a fan of 3D, but I saw this in 3D and in IMAX,and I was blown away by it.

Great film. It'll get 10 Oscar nominations and it will win all of the technical awards. For the major awards, I think Cuaron has a decent shot at walking away with Best Director.

What I like most about this film is that it is completely conceivable to flip the genders of the two characters and have the exact same film.