Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Ipecac Eats Burgers #1 - Checkers


My favorite food is the hamburger. Without question, without competition. The hamburger is the perfect blend of bread, meat, and vegetables. Some days, I'll have hamburgers for lunch and dinner. I occasionally have hamburgers four or five times a week.

I'm not a huge fan of "exotic" burgers. I don't like bacon or cheese on my burgers, much less guacamole or a fried egg. If I have the choice, I order ketchup, mustard, mayo, lettuce, pickles, onion. I also don't care for huge buns, as they tend to make the whole thing somewhat dry and too bready. I'm a very "meat and potatoes" kind of guy with my favorite food.

With that in mind, over the next few weeks I'm going to document my hamburger consumption in an effort to identify the best burger (among those I eat). I am not especially fussy, so you'll see everything from fast food to gourmet burgers. I'm also not a food critic, so I won't go on and on about texture and seasoning levels. I'm just going to show some pictures and give a couple of thoughts.

First up, the national drive-in chain, Checkers.

This is the Champ Burger, no cheese.


Honestly, not too inspiring. For a fast food burger, it's not too flattened out, but it's showing very little personality.


This is a better vantage. You can see lots of pretty good vegetables.

Checkers burgers always surprise me with how good they are. They don't look fantastic but they're always juicy and I really love the taste of the meat; they must be spiced with something. Checkers' Champ burger is also one of the few burgers where I like the tomatoes enough to leave them on.

All in all, a good burger that I always enjoy.

4 comments:

ahtitan said...

The fact that you find cheese on a burger to be both "exotic" and "undesirable" invalidates anything else you might have to say. I'm actually reconsidering our very friendship. I have to lay down now.

SJHoneywell said...

No cheese? Commie.

For the record, I'm pretty much with you on bacon, but guacamole and/or a fried egg on a burger is magic.

Ipecac said...

Chalk the "exotic" label on cheese up to poor sentence structure.

I don't like cheese because it smothers everything else. The burger becomes about the cheese.

(Although, I do appreciate that if you add a dairy cheese, hamburgers have all the food groups. Another point for the magic that is hamburgers.)

My son, Ben, loves exotic burgers, especially with guac.

Eric Haas said...

Cheese is a must. Bacon is good. Guacamole and fried egg, not so much.