Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Who you gonna call?


I saw the new Ghostbusters movie over the weekend and enjoyed it.

The thing I love about the original Ghostbusters is the Cthulhu vibe. There's a slight creepiness and scariness underneath the comedy and the combination works really well. The 2016 Ghostbusters didn't have that vibe and so didn't register with me as strongly. But the movie was so joyous in a lot of ways that it still worked.

I especially loved Leslie Jones who was just all kinds of enthusiastic and fun. She does a great job portraying someone completely likable. Meanwhile, Kate McKinnon's quirky weirdness elevated every scene she was in. Honestly, I can't tell you a lot about McKinnon's character, but I loved her. I'm pretty sure I'd watch an entire movie just about Holtzmann.




There were a ton of cameos and callbacks, some of which were better than others, but they definitely made the new crew feel welcome in the Ghostbusters universe.

A few months ago I proclaimed my love for the cheesy Yahoo! TV show, Other Space, which was produced by the director of Ghostbusters, Paul Feig. Awesomely, nearly the entire cast of Other Space, was in the film (some very hard to spot) and one of them, Neil Casey, was the main villain! Cool! He seems to be coming in to a successful career and I am really happy for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

No comments: