The Donald Trump campaign has been an ongoing dumpster fire that this week imploded into a crapstorm of epic and historical proportions with the reveal that Trump ::GASP:: doesn't respect women and ::SHOCK:: is sexually aggressive to the point of sexual assault. I mean, what a total surprise! (Raise your hand if you didn't already think that was the case.)
In any event, I think it's time to remind those Republicans who are now, finally, jumping off the Trump train of their history of support.
Republicans supported Trump when:
- He said that Mexicans were rapists and criminals.
- Trump University scammed thousands of Americans.
- It was discovered that The Trump Foundation bought personal crap for Trump and paid off his business debts. Oh, and it's not actually a licensed charitable foundation.
- We learned that Trump had violated the Cuba embargo in the 1990s.
- Trump called on the Russians to hack Hillary Clinton and repeatedly praised Putin.
- Trump suggested that Hillary be assassinated.
- Trump said that an Indiana judge couldn't be impartial to Trump because his parents were Mexican.
- Trump attacked a former Miss Universe after originally attacking her years ago.
- We learned that Trump was sexually aggressive while running beauty pageants.
- Trump didn't pay many of his contractors and workers.
- Trump likely pays NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX.
- Trump used to discriminate against Black Americans when he owned housing.
- Trump broke casino regulations when he owned casinos.
- Trump hired a bunch of actual white supremacists to be on his campaign team.
- Trump called John McCain a coward for being captured in Vietnam.
- Trump wouldn't repudiate his KKK supporters.
- Trump mocked a disabled reporter.
- Trump attacked a still-grieving Gold Star Family.
There's more, but I'm exhausted. Many establishment Republicans supported this terrible, terrible, person through all of that. But one use of the "P" word and they've finally seen the light.
It should also be noted that many Evangelical leaders, those who profess to love family values, still support Trump, even today, despite his serial cheating his way through three marriages and attempted rape and all. The list includes Ralph Reed, James Dobson, and Jerry Falwell, Jr.
Another group of Republicans want to support Trump's running mate, Mike Pence. Pence seems to be benefiting most from Trump's meltdown. So let's remind everyone of the kind of guy Governor Mike Pence of Indiana is.
- Pence signed incredibly restrictive abortion legislation that required women who had abortions or even miscarriages to cremate or bury the fetus at the mother's expense.
- Of course Pence wants to outlaw abortion altogether, even though it is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.
- Pence passed legislation that explicitly allowed businesses to discriminate against LGBT people.
- Pence is against same sex marriage and thinks it should be outlawed.
- Pence is against raising the minimum wage.
- Pence doesn't believe in climate change.
- In Congress, Pence often voted to cut benefits in Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Pence lied his ass off in the only Vice Presidential debate.
- Pence made a burgeoning HIV epidemic in Indiana worse by ignoring it until it had spread.
In short, don't get all excited because Pence seems to be reasonable when he's standing next to Trump. He's also a terrible, terrible person who should get nowhere near the seat of government.
Republicans seem to be unable to learn from past mistakes. It won't be until the House, Senate and the White House are Democratic that we'll actually move forward as a country again. So let's all get out there and VOTE BLUE. Not just for President, but up and down the ticket.
This is our chance.