Yesterday, Donald Trump's daughter, Ivanka, tweeted the following:
That's Ivanka, sitting at the President's desk in the Oval Office with Justin Trudeau, the PM of Canada, and her moron father, Trump, the President of the United States. Some people have expressed outrage that Ivanka is sitting in that particular chair, but that's not a problem. Lots of people have had their picture taken seated at that desk.
I have other, bigger, problems with the photo and Tweet.
1. It's 2017. The idea that it's "important that women have a seat at the table" is patronizing and antiquated. Was this picture taken in the 1960s? Sheesh. Of course women should have a place at the table, and in civilized parts of the world, they already do, but only conservatives act like they just thought of it. The Democrats just ran a woman for President of the United States. You may have heard of her?
2. Ivanka is seated while the two men loom over her, diminishing her.
3. Ivanka is the only one in the picture WITHOUT power. She has no job in the government and is only there because her father is President. So saying that she has a seat at the table isn't accurate.
4. Are we really supposed to believe that she had a "great" conversation with her father, the handsy misogynist, about women? Right.
5. Trump is less a "world leader" than a "world destroyer" through his arrogant, ignorant stupidity. Although he is leading us over a cliff, so maybe that one's a nitpick.
6. That's not even a table, it's a damn desk. Geez.
Hey, here's a picture of Trump signing the Executive Order reinstating the Global Gag Rule that cuts off funds for any health organization that discusses abortion as a health option for women in developing countries.
|Not shown: Any Women at the Table|