Sunday, July 07, 2019

By the redeye's red glare


I'm sure you've seen this by now, but I want it here for posterity (on my blog).

The President of the United States said this during his Nuremberg Rally on the Mall on July 4.
"In June of 1775, the Continental Congress created a unified Army out of the Revolutionary Forces encamped around Boston and New York, and named after the great George Washington, commander in chief. The Continental Army suffered a bitter winter of Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown.
"Our Army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rocket’s red glare it had nothing but victory. And when dawn came, their star-spangled banner waved defiant."
I really wish I had been around to see our army manning "the air" and taking over the airports in 1775. What a sight it must have been. And then they apparently time-traveled to the War of 1812 to win nothing but victory at Fort McHenry.

If you'd like to see some hilarious Twitter reactions, here's an article.

Of course, Trump blames a malfunctioning teleprompter for the gaffe. (Do you remember when Republicans (including Trump) went on for YEARS because President Obama had the nerve to use a teleprompter? Unfortunately, I do.)
"I knew the speech very well so I was able to do it without a teleprompter," he said. "And it was actually hard to look at anyway because of the rain."  Link
So is he saying he didn't make any mistakes and recited the speech as written? Because that's some pretty bad proofreading on the part of the White House. Of course, he's lying, since I think we all agree that's not how the speech was supposed to go.

Here's the thing. I am pretty sure that teleprompter or not, I would never, under any circumstances include the word "airport" in any description of the Revolutionary War, except perhaps to say "Airports were definitely NOT A THING during the Revolutionary War and anyone who says so is an idiot."

Link

No comments: