Tuesday, June 08, 2021

2021 Cicada Report

The last time the mighty cicada visited was in 2004, a couple of years before I started this blog. In case you haven't heard, cicadas are big-ass bugs that live underground for 17 years as nymphs, but then emerge as adults, mate and then die in the matter of a few weeks. 2021 is the local bugs' year to make themselves known. 

As I speak, a low, rhythmic buzzing can be heard off in the distance; a constant undertone we've been hearing for at least a couple of weeks. While I can see holes in our yard where the adult cicadas' emerged, we've been lucky not to have thousands of them on every surface. We've seen a couple on our deck or driveway, but that's it.

In a short time they'll be gone, and I won't hear them again (if ever) until I'm in my mid-70s.



2 comments:

David Attenborough said...

Ipecac, what exactly is the specific point of the Cicada`s actual existence on the surface of the planet in the first place ?.

Ipecac said...

Good question! I assume they eat something we don't like or provide food for something we do. Let's see . . .

According to Google answers: Cicadas are mostly beneficial. They prune mature trees, aerate the soil, and once they die, their bodies serve as an important source of nitrogen for growing trees.