Sunday, August 30, 2026

Just Say NO to the stupid

Imagine if Biden or Obama had tried to rename international bodies of water for no reason. (They didn't, of course, because they're not insane). I doubt that giant, powerful corporations would have played along. 

Google, however, bends the knee to Trump at every opportunity, no matter how stupid, without any pushback.

Google Maps from within the United States:


What the rest of the world sees (I changed my VPN to Australia):



The number of people who think this renaming is a good idea is negligible, even in America. Likely a good 99% of humanity thinks this is ridiculous. Who does Google think they're pleasing with this? (Yeah, Trump alone).

I know that a great deal of corporate America supports Trump's pro-billionaire, anti-everyone else agenda and loves the trashing of America's regulatory state. But sometimes this shit is SO stupid I can only shake my head at how craven they are. 

This is why I switched to MS Edge last year and exclusively use Apple Maps. (Not that they're perfect, but at least they haven't renamed Lake Ontario yet.)

The Emperor has no clothes, but corporate America still pretends he does.

No comments: