Friday, April 27, 2007

Equal Justice for All?

Interesting story . . .

A man arrested on Wednesday for allegedly trying to use a stolen credit card at a drugstore got a break from a judge after passing a sort of Bible quiz.

When Eric Hine appeared in court this morning, his attorney described him as a church-goer, hoping the judge would set a low bond.

Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge John Burlew was skeptical and asked Hine to recite the 23rd Psalm.

He did: all six verses. Some in the courtroom applauded.

Burlew was satisfied and released Hine on a $10,0000 appearance bond,meaning he'll have to pay that amount if he doesn't show up for his next court date.


Judge gives break to Bible-Quoter

I'll give the Judge the benefit of the doubt and presume he gave the guy a break for honesty, rather than just the fact that he was a Christian.

Were I in front of the judge, I wouldn't have been able to quote all verses of the 23rd Psalm, but then, I wouldn't claim to be a church-goer.

Then again, I wouldn't have tried to use a stolen credit card either.

1 comment:

ahtitan said...

I could recite most of It's A Wonderful Life. Would that count?