Wednesday, April 18, 2007

One Thumb, Way Down

One of the many warning signs of VT spree-killer, Cho Seung-Hui's, violent madness was the class assignments he submitted as an English major. Investigators delving into his life have found disturbing poetry and plays that clearly show his unfocused rage.

I don't mean to take any of this lightly and certainly mean no disrespect in the face of this horrific tragedy, but when I read his one-act play, Richard McBeef, the screenwriter in me couldn't help but turn a critical eye on the writing. Since he was an English major, I assumed that Cho would have been a decent writer.

I was wrong.

Richard McBeef is horrible. Bad dialogue, stupid characters, unrealistic reactions, and some bad grammar. I've read a lot of amateur scripts and this was one of the worst. As Mr. Howell would say, "I'd walk out of that film on an airplane." Clearly, it was the product of a very troubled and sick mind.

You can read the whole thing here.

No comments: