Wednesday, April 04, 2012

36 Views


One of the coolest advantages to having an office overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC is that I'm a short walking distance away from a dozen free, world class museums.  Today during lunch I walked over to my favorite Smithsonian Museum, the Sackler Gallery, and checked out the new temporary exhibit, Hokusai: 36 Views of Mount Fuji.

Japanese woodblock prints, or Ukiyo-e, are my all-time favorite style of art and Hokusai's views of Mount Fuji are some of the most famous.  These prints have a simplicity of color and line that I love and the images of 19th century Japanese folk going about their business in view of the great mountain really moves me.  I always want to transport into the picture and live the simple but rich, romantic and picturesque life of the villagers.

If you're in town, you should definitely check it out.

No comments: