Resist

Resist

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Notice anything SPECTACULAR in the comics this week?


The only comic strip I read these days is Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Patsis.  I enjoy it a great deal, which is lucky because it's one of only two comic strips carried by The Washington Post Express, the only actual hard copy paper I read. In the past I've followed Peanuts, Bloom County, Doonesbury for a spell, and especially, the beloved, most awesome comic ever, Calvin & Hobbes.

This week, the strip centered around Patsis' alter-ego turning over the drawing of the strip to his second grade neighbor, Libby. The first Libby-drawn cartoon is below and when I saw it, I was suitably impressed that Patsis could draw in a completely different style.


The next in the series was the strip below. I was amazed that the second panel was such a fantastic homage to Bill Watterson's style in Calvin & Hobbes. It's very much like a Spaceman Spiff drawing. There's also the "I could do better if I had more space," line that echoes Watterson's famous spat with newspapers.


Turns out, I was on the right track. As revealed yesterday in the Washington Post, Bill Watterson, reclusive creator of Calvin & Hobbes, actually draw panels for three of the Pearls Before Swine strips this week, the first comic he's drawn since he retired Calvin & Hobbes. Incredible! It's kind of like J.D. Salinger writing a chapter of your book.

The Post article explaining how the whole thing came about is here.

If you'd like to see the entire line of strips, click here.

Sometimes, life is good.

No comments: