Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lunch Haunts - Under the Highway


My shop moved from our offices on Pennsylvania Ave. to the Constitution Center near L'Enfant Plaza a couple of months ago. I have just begun to explore the area in earnest.

Last month, I visited my favorite Smithsonian Museum, the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, and afterwards stopped at Independence Ave. and L'Enfant Plaza to take some pictures.

These first couple below are underneath the Department of Energy (DOE) which sits astride L'Enfant Plaza. I really like this type of broad boulevard with expansive views.



Looking the other way, you can see the newly repaired Washington Monument.


Interestingly, if I stood in the same place but turned the camera a bit to the left, the Washington Monument faded from view. I imagine it's due to the clearly changing contrast.


And here's the entrance to DOE. I also really like this type of overhanging building. It seems so retro-sixties futuristic.



1 comment:

Eric Haas said...

When you turned to your left, your camera adjusted the exposure to deal with the darker scene under the building, and as a consequence, the much brighter sky and Washington Monument were overexposed and blown out (i.e., all the pixels in that area were pushed to the maximum brightness they could handle), and so you lost all detail in that area.