Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Chris Christie: Won't someone [not] think of the children?


Wow! Is New Jersey Governor Chris Christie eavesdropping on Carol and me?
"I've got to tell you the truth, I'm tired of hearing about the minimum wage. I really am. I don't think there's a mother or father sitting around a kitchen table tonight in America who are saying 'you know, honey, if our son or daughter could just make a higher minimum wage, my God, all our dreams would be realized.' Is that what parents aspire to for their children?"  Link
Zing! He so has us pegged. I can't tell you how many times we've said, "Gee, I am SOOOO glad Rachel isn't making too much money. Someone paying her more would be horrible!" I mean, what possible reason could we have to want her to make more money?!?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Christie is being truthful about being tired of hearing about the minimum wage. I'm pretty sure nearly all Republicans are sick of it.

Of course, teenagers aren't the only ones making minimum wage. The average age of the minimum wage worker in America is 35 years old. Lots of actual adults, with families of their own, make minimum wages too. And since working forty hours a week at minimum wage still puts you BELOW the poverty line, raising the minimum wage would actually allow some families to be, you know, NOT so poor as to need government assistance.

But then their children would be better off, so I guess Chris Christie would be against it. Pesky kids!

No comments: