Thursday, August 31, 2017

I like Americans who don't lose their homes to a hurricane


Warning: Sketchy quotes below

Over the past couple of days, Houston megachurch and prosperity gospel pastor Joel Osteen has been under criticism for not opening his, uh, mega-sized church (16,800 seats) for refugees from the hurricane flooding. At first, Osteen claimed that the church couldn't be reached because of the flooding. This was quickly shown to be a lie and eventually they started letting in desperate people. (Please note that a whole bunch of mosques IMMEDIATELY opened their doors to the needy.)

After the lie was exposed, Osteen then tried a new excuse.
“We were just being precautious, but the main thing is the city didn’t ask us to become a shelter then.”

Uh huh.

Let's recap.

A CHRISTIAN pastor, in charge of a building that could shelter THOUSANDS of people, believes he needs to be ASKED to open his doors to take in people who are in danger, wet, hungry, and likely lost their homes and most of their possessions to a hurricane.

Now, I'm not a Christian, but that would seem to be inconsistent with a few quotes I've heard related to Christianity.
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in." Matthew 25:35
But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.1 John 3:17-18
You know, on second thought, that sounds pretty gay. No wonder Osteen ignored it.


1 comment:

Dell said...

Yeah, everything Osteen did throughout the week was pathetic. Great post.