Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Helpful Explanation from a Tea Party Enthusiast

From the recent protests in Washington.
Among them was Jerry Johnson, 58, a lawyer from Berryville, Va., who held a homemade sign depicting the United States as the Titanic striking an iceberg.
 
"I came here because of what I see going on in this country," he said. "We're bankrupt in America. We can't run our households like the government's running the country. That, and the idea of people [sitting] around on their butts. Fifty percent of the people collecting a check are paying no taxes, while the other 50 pull the wagon.
Uh, look, Jerry, you seem like a swell guy and everything, and I love the Titanic metaphor to death, but the 50% who are paying no taxes aren't exactly sitting around.  They're too poor to owe taxes.  Oh, and hugely profitable corporations.  Exxon-Mobil paid zero taxes last year.
Johnson continued: "Normally I'm not a protester. I've got other things to do in life. I'd rather be doing all kinds of other things. But I just can't stand by and watch this country go down the tubes."

He said he "worked my way up from nothing" and was not about to allow "somebody else to reach in my pocket and just take it away and give to somebody" who does nothing.

Johnson expressed opposition to Obama. "It's not just because he's black," he said. "I wish I could tell you that I loved this guy, that he was a great president, that I had faith in him. But I have none. Zero."
BZZZT!!

Oh!  So close!  You were doing SO well until the ". . . not just because he's black . . ." thing.

Thanks, for playing though.

No comments: