Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lunch Haunts - The Capitol


Yesterday during lunch I walked up to the Capitol.  That is, the Capitol of the United States, where all the dumbass Congressfolk "work".

Every day I see the Capitol building as I enter and leave my office, but it's been a really long time since I actually went onto the grounds.  As you can see, the grounds around the Capitol are immense and quite beautiful.

Click the pics to make them bigger.



One of my favorite things is a little known "oasis" on the grounds, tucked off to the side.  (It's to the left from where I'm standing when I took the picture above).  The oasis is a small, brick structure with about fifteen shaded, stone seats around a clear fountain and several drinking fountains.  It's a nice retreat from the heat.


There's a really beautiful grotto behind one wall, complete with flowing water.


While I hadn't planned to, as I rounded the building I remembered that I had never seen the new Capitol Visitor's Center that was built underground a few years ago.  So I went through security and checked it out.  Below is the "Emancipation Hall" that leads to the tours, a nice multi-cuisine restaurant, gift shops, and a wonderful museum of Capitol history through the doors behind the statue in the picture.


After I walked through the museum I headed back to work, reflecting on what a shame it is that so many people have been whipped into an anti-government frenzy, with no respect for what government has done and can still do for the people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Pictures! I especially love the second one, with the steps leading up to the capitol.