Thursday, April 03, 2008

Quick Review: 3:10 to Yuma

I've never been a fan of Westerns of any sort, save for Wild Wild West (the tv show) and F Troop. There's something about the dirty, low tech, violent, amoral characters, and other elements of the genre I don't like. That said, I watched 3:10 to Yuma, starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, last night in a friend's home theatre.

Great movie. I really, really enjoyed it. Fantastic performances by everyone and an immersive, intelligent and interesting story. It definitely deserved its Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

I strongly recommend this movie, even if you don't care for Westerns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you don't like High Noon? That's a great movie. Westerns are a truly unique American genre (although Clint Eastwood made a lot of Sphagetti Westerns.)

I'm actually not a huge fan of Westerns, in part because a lot of them are so formulaic. But the best ones are really good.

You don't like violent, amoral characters? And you watch "24"?

ahtitan said...

Unforgiven is very good as well.

BillR said...

I agree....I wasn't sure I was going to like 3:10 to Yuma, but it was excellent. Westerns are not normally a genre I watch....on the other hand, I have started watching HBO's Deadwood which is also excellent.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think Unforgiven was as good as I had been led to believe. IN fact, until "Letters from Iwo Jima" I thought Clint Eastwood was a very overrated director.