Sunday, June 02, 2013

God Bless America


This essay, by James P. Marsh, Jr. in the Washington Post, completely reflects my feelings about pushing religion into the public sphere. This endorsement of Christianity specifically, and generically all religion, happens all around us, at all sorts of events, and it's almost always completely inappropriate.
I am a Methodist minister and a Washington Nationals fan. I was there on Opening Day in 2005 at old RFK Stadium, and I try my best to plan my summer around Nats home games. I have only one issue with the ballpark experience, and it’s not with the beer prices. It’s with “God Bless America.”
...
This incident made me think more about the question: I love this country and don’t want to live anywhere else. But being pressured to stand up at a baseball game for a song that’s essentially a prayer seems, well, un-American. It feels like being pushed into the river for a baptism I didn’t choose. It’s an empty ritual, and one that I think doesn’t hold much theological water.
...
Stepping back, this also raises the question: Why do we all too frequently seek to invoke rituals that, in the end, undermine our common bonds? Not everyone in our nation or at the ballpark shares the same beliefs. From which god are we asking these blessings? What does the good secular humanist or atheist do during this song? Are we to assume that all deities will be in concert for those who believe in more than one?
Check out the whole essay. If all religious folk had this same maturity and understanding, America would be a far better place for all beliefs.


No comments: