Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Prostate Update

Three years ago, I reported a new health issue I was having, an elevated PSA, which stands for Prostate Specific Antigen. As a diabetic, I have my blood tested several times a year and for some consecutive blood tests, I was showing a high PSA, which could be indicative of prostate cancer. So, I started to see a urologist.

Now, three years later, I've had numerous exams, an ultrasound, two MRIs and three prostate biopsies, the most recent last week. The results of the first and second biopsy were inconclusive, so they let some time pass and I was examined again. The second MRI, taken in October, came back with a result of "likely cancer" for some spots on my prostate. And that lead to last week's "fusion biopsy," a new technique that uses hardware and software for an MRI guided biopsy to take samples specifically from the trouble spots.

So now, I once again await results. I should hear from the doctor tomorrow or Thursday and then come the next steps. To the hopeful, the doctor said the potentially problematic areas looked good.

The full procedure will cost me around $500 out of pocket, and I have really good insurance. That's doable for me. But someone without medical insurance is unlikely to be able to afford this potentially life-saving procedure and I think that sucks. Healthcare is a human right.


No comments: